Absolute Beginner Pointe Course
Starting pointe classes always seem like a daunting task to anyone that has never attempted it, but with the right training and strengthening exercises it should be a fun and positive experience. This is exactly what you can expect with the Danceworks Absolute Beginner Pointe course. If you have always wanted to attempt going on pointe or have done it in your youth but is in need of a good refresher, then this is an ideal opportunity to do so. The course will run over a period of ten weeks, where you get to work with the same teacher and with the same group of dancers throughout. The course is designed to build the strength in the ankles and lower legs to go onto pointe safely and with ease. You will be carefully monitored throughout to make sure you are using the correct muscles.
What you can expect to learn in the Absolute Beginner pointe Course:
All barre exercises will be done with two hands on the barre for added support. – Warm up exercises for feet and ankles
– Simple relevés onto pointe on two feet
– Correct alignment of the feet and body to achieve solid balances on two feet – Mobility in the ankles to be able to fully get onto pointe
– Articulation of the feet to ensure correct rolling on and off pointe
– Change of weight from one foot to another
– Temps lié onto pointe at the barre and in the centre
It is advised that you go for a professional pointe shoe fitting at a ballet shop, where you will get a pair of shoes that are suited to your feet. A proper fitting shoe is crucial for your training and to avoid injuries. Clothing should be comfortable but tight enough for the teacher to check body alignment.